Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Paradise Now

                  Wow… Again.  When I watched Paradise Now last night, I figured I would turn it off when I got too tired, because it was already almost eleven-thirty when I started it.  That didn’t happen!  I was enthralled with the movie, and could not keep my eyes from being glued to the computer screen.  I also cried, but no one needs to know that…

                  Even though I did not agree with much of the film Reel Bad Arabs, I definitely agree on their review of Paradise Now!  It was an excellently produced movie, along with having a phenomenal story line.  The way that they were able to show what went on inside the minds of the two would-be suicide bombers, and the many different aspects and struggles of the whole mission was both amazing and heart-breaking.  Before this movie, I had never quite thought about all the struggles that a suicide bomber would deal with before he died.  I had only thought, “How could a person do that?  What about his whole life that he is throwing away, and how will his death really affect his family, especially if his death makes no difference to their situation?” 

                  These subconscious thoughts were brought to the front of my mind during the scene where Saha is talking to Khaled in the car, and they are trying to find Said.  In my opinion, this was the climax of the movie.  Saha had wise words for Khaled.  Though this movie was definitely pro-Palestinian, the words of Saha in this scene softened the tone, when she said that their deaths would only give the other side another reason to bomb them.    

                  Needless to say, I thought that the end was going to be slightly more happy (how naïve of me) and more informative.  From the preview, I expected both Khaled and Said to make the same decision.  But we instead are left hanging about Said’s decision!  Ahhhh, movie endings!!!!  But still, good choice of movie, guys!

6 comments:

  1. I was really surprised at the ending of the movie also. I think I actually prefer this ending to one that is "happy." I feel that if the movie had ended with Khaled and Said making the same decision it would have felt contrived and had less of an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't didn't think the ending was left open. I assumed that the bright white flash was the last thing Said and the other passengers saw, and that the long, black outro signified death (without the two angels Jamal promised).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also felt like it was pretty clear that Said killed himself and everyone else. There was some interesting debate over at IMDB.com about whether the movie would have been more effective with mutilated Israeli bodies at the end, but I think that the flash into nothing does more to move the movie's central focus, character, away from his political actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same questions. How could someone do that? How easily someone can throw their life away. But I cannot imagine the life that they live on a daily basis and how frightening and tense it must really be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a very picking and critical movie watcher, but I felt "glued to the TV" too, like you said. I'm glad you enjoyed the film as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete