Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Anthony Bourdain Episode

            The Anthony Bourdain  episode of “No Reservations: Saudi Arabia” was fascinating.  Kudos to Katie for picking it out!  It was educational and hilarious! 

                  It was surprising to me that the show was allowed to come to Saudi Arabia at all.  And because it is rumored to not always be the safest place for non-Muslims, I am surprised that Anthony chose to go there!  But I am glad he did… so we could all benefit from his experiences!  I was slightly shocked that the woman (was her name Donya?) who led Anthony around did not think women to be very oppressed in her country, or at least she did not express it in front of the camera.  She did not speak out against her inequality, and maybe did not even think of it as inequality, though she could not drive or go out into the public uncovered.  Though she seemed to have much more independence than I would have thought for a Saudi woman, I wondered how much of this was due to her being raised in the United States. 

                  Though Donya tried to show that Saudi culture was not necessarily oppressive to women, just different form Western cultures, it was still sad to see all the women covered from head to toe in black while walking in public.  And what was up with the closed booths at the restaurant?  It was actually sort of a neat idea for a restaurant, but not for the purpose (I think) it was supposed to serve in that culture! 

                  I was actually surprised that Donya was allowed to travel with Anthony.  Was her husband with her while she traveled?  I did not think that this would be allowed for a Saudi woman, especially one who was married.  I just wonder if it was a special case because she was a film maker, or if she was ridiculed or even punished for traveling with another man who was not her relative. 

                  Oh, and the food on the show looked wonderful, except, of course, the camel and the lizard!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that she had us watch that episode, for one because I love the show and also because it raised many questions for me. I was also surprised that she was able to travel around with him freely and that a man wasn't the one to do it! It was nice to see though that the oppression didn't seem like too much of an issue.

    ReplyDelete