Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Persepolis

            Having just finished Persepolis, I have to say that I was disappointed with the ending.  I loved little Marjane in the beginning, but grew annoyed with her character when she got older.  Overall, though, I enjoyed the book, especially since it was my first graphic novel to read.

                  The author’s portrayal of Marjane as a little girl was perfect.  Marjane was spunky, loveable, and adorable.  I loved how her family as a unit was strong and admirable.  The mom and the dad had an excellent relationship, and they truly cared about their only daughter having a promising and satisfying life.  Each member cared about the desires of the other members (with the exception of Marji’s selfishness sometimes).  And I loved how Marji always came back to her family for reassurance.

                  The beginning of the book was definitely my favorite part; its humor amazed me.  I especially enjoyed the parts about the headscarves, and how the girls made fun of them and performed stunts with them.  And Marji’s immediate obsession with politics, religion, and social issues, even as a small child, was intriguing.  I especially loved the part when she was imagining herself as the last prophet and said that “no old person should have to suffer” and it would “simply be forbidden” according to her rules.  Her simple childishness was effective in getting the author’s points across.  Another hilarious part was when she and her friends had their own “revolution” and shouted “Down with the king!”  Some of these incidents reminded me of my own interest in politics at a young age, and how refreshing it is to hear children talk about politics in simple terms.  I grew annoyed with her character later, though, because it seemed like she lost her sweet innocence, and hardly ever seemed satisfied with her life.  But I appreciated that she always kept a strong connection with her family and never lost her deep affection for them.

                  I also have to say that the illustrations were extremely effective.  Having not read a graphic novel before, I was thoroughly surprised at how compelling it could be.  I was pulled into the story at once by the images, and it held my interest for much longer than most books do!

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with the graphics. At first I was a little put off by the comic book appearance; however soon I completely forgot. I found the images to be able to illustrate points where words may have been cliche or shallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has some tough experiences as she gets older, including a serious depression. Certainly she makes some mistakes, some from the spot she is in between cultures without parents, some from teenage thoughtlessness. How might one foster one's sympathy for a person in such a situation?

    ReplyDelete