Thursday, November 5, 2009

The White Castle

                  The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk is the book that I chose for the Turkey group.  I have not quite finished it yet, but am over half-finished.  The writing style reminds me of old British literature, and because of this I have greatly enjoyed it. 

                  It was surprising to me that the main character is not actually Turkish or Muslim.  When Hoja was first introduced, I imagined that the storyline would be something along the lines of “long-lost twins reunite.”  I thought the story took an interesting turn when the two look-alikes become master and slave instead of royal relations.  Hoja’s behavior toward the main character (does anyone know his name???) was especially shocking to me; he was quite psychotic!   I had hoped to admire his character, but as soon as he commits any kind action, he does something doubly worse!

                  The bubonic plague part of the novel is fascinating.  I never realized that it affected Turkey; I had always thought of Western Europe as being the only place it was heavily present.  Hoja’s behavior here was shocking as well, when he purposely scares the main character and even tries to infect him with the deadly disease.

                  The most fascinating aspect of the book to me so far has been the Muslim-Christian relations.  The Muslim Turks continually try to convert the main character, punish him when he rejects Islam, but also somewhat respect him for being faithful- even willing to die for- his religion. 

                  It has been hard for me to read long portions of this book in one sitting.  I really enjoy the book, but I think that it has such a depressing tone that it is hard to take too much in at one time.  But I cannot wait to see how it ends!

 

3 comments:

  1. It gets even more confusing as it gets closer to the end, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thought about these two men being "long lost twins" may be closer to the truth than you think. I felt like Pamuk intentionally made the novel grow more and more confusing. Your right, it was hard to sit and read it for long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found it depressing. Sometimes it made me feel like an idiot wasting her time (I was confused a lot). I expected the two men to be one man with an identity crisis.

    ReplyDelete